[78-L] Hal Kemp Orchestra 1937 Rejected Recording of 'Roustabout' - Sample Record

78records at cdbpdx.com 78records at cdbpdx.com
Wed Apr 20 20:08:25 PDT 2011

I have a 10 1/2" RCA Victor 'Sample Record', number 09835-2, of Hal Kemp Orch playing 'Roustabout', dated 11-17-37.  Rust says this recording was rejected, and with good reason.  It is a technically terrible recording.  You can listen here:

http://78records.cdbpdx.com/GMSpecial/Roustabout/

Apparently, they recorded Roustabout again a week later (11-23-37), but that one was rejected, also.  I don't see any other attempts.

Does that mean this is the only existing recording of that song by Hal Kemp and his Orchestra for the 11-17-37 session?  How many 'Sample Records' would have been made?  Would the orignal master have been saved?

Would I be way off base thinking this might be the only known recording of Roustabout by the Hal Kemp Orchestra...??  (even if it is kind of screwed up)

Comments??

Thanks!  CDB