[78-L] Binaural, duophonic, etc.

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 20 16:26:35 PDT 2011

On 4/20/2011 5:02 PM, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Dan Van Landingham wrote:
>
> "Binaural" refers to a method of recording that mimics the human
> ear. - "Two Sounds." The microphones are literally mounted on a Styrofoam
> head in some cases,

Let me mention again that this use of the word was not solidified until
the 1960s.  Prior to this binaural was used for just about any
two-channel recording, including some that have w-i-d-e separation.

>   or a single crossed-8 cardoid stereo mic is used.  The
> listener wears headphones.

The explanation below is quite good, but I think that the above
description might have been mis-understood because the wording is a
little confusing.  Blumlein and others didn't always use a pair of
bi-directional with one facing forward and the other facing sidewards.
Sometimes a cardioid is used facing forward and the bi-directional
pattern is facing sidewards.  I think this is what is meant in this
description.  Using a cardioid as the forward facing mic instead of a
bi-directional reduces pickup from the rear, such as audience noise and
hall reverberation.   Stereo mics like the AKG C-24allowed for the
changing of the patterns -- in the case of the C-24 even from the
control room while listening to the results live!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com