[78-L] Goldkette "I Didn't Know" alternate??

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Apr 19 15:07:12 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Jeff Sultanof wrote:

> It sounds like dirt that was imbedded after many years of storage.
> Or it
> might have been deterioration.
>
> The reason the side was not issued was that Eddie King, who was
> recording
> supervisor at Victor for that session, hated Bix Beiderbecke's solo
> style,
> and told Goldkette that he was not to play for the remainder of the
> session.
> That is why Bix is not on any takes recorded after this one. This
> comes from
> Dick Sudhalter's book on Beiderbecke. Dick and I discussed this at
> some
> point.
>
> Ironically, when Bix showed up to the first Whiteman Columbia
> session, who
> do you think the recording supervisor was? The same Eddie King.

King was also the supervisor at the October 1926 sessions
("Idolizing," "Sunday" et al). Apparently, his attitude had softened
somewhat in the intervening couple of years since "I Didn't Know."
But his influence was no less detrimental -- instead of the great hot
tunes the band had been playing, they got stuck with dreck King
brought in -- and a nasal-voiced tenor to sing said dreck. At least
Whiteman called his own shots in 1928, Eddie King or no. Goldkette
was a "regional release" band.

Take care,

Joe
--
"Looking at a cat, like looking at clouds or stars or the ocean,
makes it difficult to believe there is nothing miraculous in this