[78-L] Beach Boys 78s

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 17 18:57:58 PDT 2011

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> At 21:13 17/04/2011, CG wrote:
>>For those who say "Bosh, the Beach Boys aren't in the 78 era," I
>>say, "Well, they are now." Any 78 produced today is worthy of our
>>investing in it so I'm glad I snagged one. It's funny that nobody
>>has bothered to unseal the set and scan the actual labels, which I
>>am curious about seeing. We only see the front of the package.
>
> I humbly disagree. This is a created collectable in the same price
> inflated vein as the enhanced/ painted coins and US$2 bills that you
> see advertised in the 'as seen on TV' ads.
>
> Again I state -- The Beach Boys have nothing to do with 78 era and
> Good Vibrations less so. Far better suited to issue on 78 would have
> been Love Me Do by the Beatles  -- because it at least DID show up on 78.

Point being that it is theoretically possible to "issue" ANY now-extant
recording on a (vinyl) 78...! So...yes, there exist recordings of rhe
sixties on 78...from the handful of countries where 78's were still
being pressed for owners of acoustic "wind-up"" players; however,
current "reissue" 78's nominally therefrom dall into the "$3-bill"
category...! Perhaps we will see a new "all-78" label which will
issue various "old hits" on current vinyl 78's...at a price that
\represents the maximum sum they can ask for...?!

Steven C. Barr