[78-L] Beach Boys 78s

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Apr 17 14:45:48 PDT 2011

I'm not convinced the price is inflated. Have you ever tried manufacturing a 78 these days? I have, and using vinyl to make a 10-inch 78 is prohibitively expensive, not to mention the cost of packaging a 4-color sleeve with what looks like gold embossing. That ain't cheap. Would you refuse to buy a new recording made in the 78 format? If so, that disqualifies all of the R. Crumb/Cheap Suit Serenaders 78s, the John Fahey set, and the Bryan Wright Riveremont Bix Suite. If it plays at 78, we should be interested in it. Every new release, no matter what it is, keeps the format alive and contemporary, which is what our list is all about, isn't it? As for it being a "created collectible," well, sure it is, but it's something we can use, unlike all the garbage that comes out of Graceland or is featured on the Home Shopping Channel. These are collectibles created to commemorate Record Store Day, to be purchased AND USED by record collectors. I don't know how many people are buying the Beach Boys set if they don't have any way of playing them. I'm sure if you bought the set and kept it sealed it would be worth more, but I'm going to play mine.

Cary Ginell