[78-L] L & H music

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com
Sun Apr 17 14:16:02 PDT 2011

David Breneman wrote:

> --- On Sat, 4/16/11, Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What are "music beds"?I know little
>> of just how sound was recorded prior to 197
>
> Music played under a scene, but not scored for it.

When I was in broadcasting with CHUM in Toronto, we had jingles made by the
pre-eminent jingle mill "PAMS" of Dallas Texas.

Their use of the word "bed" referred to a piece of recorded music missing key
elements, like the melody, which could be overdubbed with a variety of melodies
to match a number of station's "sing" requirements in different markets.

Typically, WABC New York's over dubbed signature "Seventy-seven... W A B C" was
loosely based on "I'll take Manhattan" which I believe they were ultimate sued for!

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.