[78-L] Adrien Beauregard

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 10 06:22:43 PDT 2011

The Compo Starr connection goes way the hell back. Compo issued hundreds of
Gennett recordings as STARR GENNETT and GENNETT showing Starr Co. of Canada
(sometimes Limited, sometimes not) in various places on the label. They also
used STARR GENNETT for many of their own Apex (etc) recordings and quite often
issued OKehs on this label. By the late 20s (or possibly later) STARR was being
used exclusively as a name for their French Canadian recordings, and this was
the case into the fifties when they finally changed it to APEX Serie Francais.
Silver on blue is indeed around 1950 (actually probably a 1951 or later
pressing)..it would have been gold print through 1950.

As to 45s, I rarely see them..this market was pretty much devoted to 78s to the
end. 45s could have been reissues or remakes of recordings that sounded too
ancient.

dl