[78-L] Live comedy

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Apr 9 22:56:01 PDT 2011

I have a Victor Borge -- actually Borge Rosenbaum -- HMV in Danish arom
the 1930s.  It is a two sided routine about a restaurant.  Like his
Columbia 78s, this has no audience.  Like some other British records in
the late 30s, there are Gracie Fields records recorded with audiences of
the troops but that probably doesn't count.  But Bob Hope's "I Never
Left Home" on Capitol DOES because it consists of four monologues with
troop audiences.  Do the W.C. Fields records have an audience?    The
Borge Columbia LPs should also count.  He stood much of the time.  They
contrast greatly from the 78s because of the audience, and the Sam
Levenson records are notable because although the audience seems coached
in the first two sessions, the last record Baby and My Landlady do not
have an audience and have a different feel about them.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com