[78-L] Bristol Sessions article in today's Wall Street Journal

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Thu Apr 7 23:07:08 PDT 2011

My friend Ron Curry produced a nice two-CD set of the Richmond, Virginia,
Okeh session of October 1929. It's interesting both because it covers the
entire state (Tidewater gospel quartets to Southwest Virginia old-time), and
it highlights the growing prominence of radio artists. My favorite sides are
the quartets and the Tubize Royal Hawaiians, a factory band from Hopewell,
Virginia. Ron and I later acquired a 78 we couldn't locate for the
compilation by the Virginia Male Quartet.

Gregg