[78-L] Bristol Sessions article in today's Wall Street Journal

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 12:22:54 PDT 2011

Although I have yet to hear the Bear Family set, I bet Doug's right about his Bristol transfers being the best. Chris King, who did the new set, has developed his reputation doing pre-war reissues, usually from 78's. His are decent, but I've never found them strikingly better than average, not even the "People Take Warning" set for which he shared a Grammy, (and which had other shortcomings, chiefly the lack of discographical information). And, full disclosure: from my own encounter with King, for the "Virginia Rocks" rockabilly set, I know that he has some personality- based issues, both in embellishment of himself and with being squarely honest; let's just say that if you bought or traded a rare Dazzlers or Ray Tolley 45 from Chris King, you might not want to consider the subsequent disappointment of those who loaned them to him for remastering.

Warren