[78-L] Most disgusting place in your record searches

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 6 14:44:25 PDT 2011

On 4/6/2011 12:27 PM, Graham Newton wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>
>> One of the worst cases was that of a collector who'd died in his car because
>> his house was literally uninhabitable, filled with records and films and
>> magazines. The basement had flooded the year before. It wasn't disgusting by
>> the time collectors were admitted, but it had taken 3 months for his daughter,
>> her husband and two family friends to fill 6 dumpsters with the ruined stuff.
>
> And I have pictures of the place!  Unbelievable... like the worst of the
> HOARDERS episodes you see on the TV show!
>
> BUT WAIT... David didn't mention the absolute FUG (look that up in your Funk&
> Wagnalls) that developed in the "blue box" he had at his previous residential
> property... a full sized seagoing container mounted on concrete blocks.  On a
> summer evening with the doors open, you could smell it entering his driveway
> off Altona Road!
>
> (I have pictures of that also!)

Yup..that stink is still in all the albums that were in that container (and in
their current repository in a storage unit). The place was dry and protected
from the elements but was TOO well sealed.

By the way, there was a shed in back of our dead friend's place where I found
several boxes of albums totally covered in mud and crud, salvageable, and a
couple of piles of transcriptions which were not.