[78-L] Questions: 78 RPM production in the 1950's

Erwin Kluwer ekluwer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:01:59 PDT 2011

Interesting observation: My dad told me that in the fifties in The
Netherlands a lot of the "less cultural" music : bebop, R&B ... actually
black music... wasn't even imported directly truogh the official channels...
You only could find Blue Note LPs or blues , etc second hand (also
in "official" record shops too). They were mostly brought in form sailors or
other people going to the US regularly (like on board of ships of the
Holland- America line). This was a kind of underground distribution
system... Even second hand Blue Note Lps were selling for 25 guilders then
which was half a month salary of a lot of people then... Almost everything
else was still on 78...Maybe not sold or dumped in the US but cherised over
here!!!

Erwin