[78-L] Questions: 78 RPM production in the 1950's

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 6 08:17:01 PDT 2011

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> My favorite haunt was an old man in Fort Worth who had a barn that was
> literally filled with nothing but 78s. There were shelves of records that
> went up to the ceiling, piles of records in aisles waist high like snow
> banks, and the whole place was carpeted with broken records so every time
> you walked or moved your feet there was a crunching sound. I got lots of
> nice stuff from him - he used Docks' first edition as a pricing guide,
> which means I did well on Bluebirds and Vocalions. The most expensive item
> I bought from him was Blind Willie McTell's "Stole Rider Blues" on Victor
> for $40. Most everything else was less than $10. This was in the early 80s
> and he has long since passed away but I always wondered what happened to
> all those thousands of records that I left there.

This sounds a lot like Jim Hadfield's place well east of Toronto (as Lennick
can attest!). He had a barn FULL of 78's and some "better" stuff in his
house...and VERY reasonable prices as well. This is where I got my
"Radiex records are now electrically recorded!" promo/sample record
(which seems to be unknown otherwise...?!). Jim knew of my interest
in GG stuff, and had set this 78 aside for me; IIRC it cost me $3...!

Steven C. Barr