[78-L] Most disgusting place in your record searches

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Apr 5 19:45:53 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Murray" <recrdman at dreamscape.com>
To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:40 PM
Subject: [78-L] Most disgusting place in your record searches

.

> Well, did I immediately turn around and make a hasty exit?............
> Hell no, I had no shame...I'm a record collector and you never know.
> Spent the next four hours there in Poopy Palace treading very
> carefully, Even bought a few decent items which cleaned up very
> nicely, Had to toss out my clothes later, though.
>
> Anyone beat that?

HI,  Mike,

Yes,  sadly I can.  I once bought a stack of excellent 78s from the estate
of a man who had died in his apartment and whose body had gone undetected
for several days.  The paper sleeves had taken on a terrible odor which,
once smelled,  can never be forgotten.

I have had other unpleasant calls in the course of my buying and selling
used books.  Some years ago,  a retired U of Wash professor shot and killed
his wife and his in-laws as they slept in their beds,  and then turned the
gun on himself.  One shelf of books near a bed had been covered with shards
of wood from one of the gun-blasts....no blood,  fortunately,  but gruesome
enough.

Another book call was to the house of an eccentric man who had,  lucky for
all concerned,  dropped dead in the street.  His house was crammed literally
floor to ceiling with books and records,  75% of which was very good
material.  The first 78 I found was an E- copy of the Wolverines Gennett of
"Big Boy."

Unhappily,  the plumbing in the house had stopped working some months before
the fellow's heart attack,  and he had not chosen to call in a plumber
(understandable).  He had instead "done his business" (both #1 and #2) in
empty plastic milk jugs,  and for some reason had kept a great many of them
after they had been "refilled."

The bathtub in the house was literally full to the rim with the darkest,
blackest liquid I've ever seen.  I don't know what it was,  and hope I never
find out.

All the above is true,  as horrible as it sounds.  So a little bit of cat
and/or chicken shit doesn't really sound too bad by comparison!

Taylor