[78-L] Questions: 78 RPM production in the 1950's

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 4 21:27:51 PDT 2011

Well, for starters, the jukebox industry wasn't in a hurry to convert. And the
45 was introduced less than a year after the Lp so consumers were now faced
with THREE speeds, and an incompatible disc to boot..you had to buy a new
machine with a gigantic spindle to play the little donut discs, before they
began making adapters, spiders et al.

There were definite advantages to the 45 in terms of quality and durability,
but 78s were what people had known for years. One funny thing..I don't think I
have ever seen a Sparton-pressed Columbia 45, and they had the label till 1954.
They also pressed Capitol, and got into Capitol 45s very early on..odd.

The 78 didn't die out in Canada till 1959 and 1960 for many labels. Country
records appealed to a crowd that wasn't into high falutin' hi fi, and the
French Canadian market was strong for 78s. Pop and rock would be more popular
on 45s because you could bring a dozen to a party and have a good chance of
their being intact a few hours later..Quality (and Columbia) pressed on a
plastic compound, but Victor, Capitol and Decca and the other Compo labels
broke before you got them out of the sleeve.

dl