[78-L] Questions: 78 RPM production in the 1950's

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 21:12:26 PDT 2011

I wonder why they still kept making 78's of popular, rock & country music beyond
the early 50's after the 45 came out around 1949 or so? 78 sales must have
dropped to fairly low levels  after the 45 caught on with teenagers & the folks
in their 20's & 30's. Reason I'm asking these questions is most popular, rock &
country 78's I find from the 50's are often in much better shape than their 45
rpm counterparts. For example I've got 45's in fair to good condition where the
same records on 78's are in very good to near mint condition. So with 78's not
selling as well then why did they keep making them in the US until about 1957 or
1958 instead of stopping production of them in 1953 or perhaps 1954? Yes there
was somewhat of a dwindling market for them over time but it seemed to take
several years for that to happen. Or was it because the older folks took better
care of the 78's they bough & the teenagers played their 45's to death?

I was born in 1959 so I really don't have any experience in this area beyond
what I've picked up over the years as a used record collector.....