[78-L] 78s in the garage/should have been new subject

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Apr 4 09:50:18 PDT 2011

Yes, I keep most of my 78s in my garage. We have a three-car garage and don't have cars in it at all. It helps that we live in Southern California and there are no snowstorms so we can park our cars in the driveway or on the street and not have them damaged or vandalized.

I walled off the "3rd" space of the garage for my 78 library and lined the walls with shelves. It gets warm in there during the summer but not enough to cause any damage. In retrospect I should have had the new walls insulated, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. Besides, it's a northfacing garage so the sun is never beating directly on any part of it. I like it because it's a cement slab, making it the most stable part of the house. Excess weight will never cause me any worry. I installed some all-weather carpeting over the floor and then built the shelves to go on top. Of course we have a security system for the door that accesses the garage, and the automatic garage door can't be opened without a remote or a key.

Cary Ginell