[78-L] of Black Patti & Buddy 8000s

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sun Apr 3 20:57:12 PDT 2011

I just now finished up a massive all day update to my (Gennett) Black
Patti & Buddy lists while cross-referencing back to the main Gennett
discography ledger lists. There are quite a few Buddy records that are
still missing and most of the available sources such as Settlemier and
Abrams (and others) are not showing them.
If anyone has any of the following Buddys I would appreciate the issue
numbers/side letters, artist, and title data so I can attempt completion:

8006, 8009, 8013(), 8022(), 8026, 8027, 8028, 8029, 8036,

8038, 8039, 8040, 8042(), 8043, 8045, 8047, 8048, 8050, 8054,

8056, 8057, 8058, 8059, 8060, 8064, 8065, 8067, 8069()

There are also a number of Black Patti's that do not come from known
Gennett sessions. The assumption has been that they were recorded in
Chicago by Mayo Williams, possibly for Paramount, but my Paramount
sources say no. And so far Gennett has no record of having recorded
them, either, even though many of the artists are the same as those
appearing on other Gennett recorded Black Patti issues.
Who else might have been recording blues in Chicago in 1927 that these
masters may have come from? I can't see the big guys supplying little
ol' Gennett and by the time the Black Patti label came on the scene
Marsh Labs was pretty much out of the picture (they had a
recording/trade agreement with Gennett in the 20s).
Anyhow, Black Patti issues 8029 though 8033 and also 8051 are also still
among the missing.
Trying to make sense out of the 8000 issue series on various labels all
jumbled together in the ledger, or missing outright, has long been a
hair ripper for discographers. I think I'm beginning to make some sense
of it. And I still even have most of my hair.

All help most gratefully accepted!
Mal Rockwell