[78-L] TREME - Season One DVD - Review

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 07:11:54 PDT 2011

I thought I'd share part of my review of the DVD set of Treme. If you haven't seen the show (HBO) you should. If you have Netflix plan on spending time with Disc One as you'll want to watch the pilot a few times - without and with the audio commentary. This summer we should see the "Boardwalk Empire" DVD set though no street date announced yet.

Steve

I’m doing a “total immersion” in the set but am far enough along that I can post my review here for those wanting to know if it’s worth getting. In a word: “YES!” – though there is one small annoying I’ll point out shortly.

If you don’t get (or didn’t get HBO on cable) you need this set to watch one of the finest TV dramas of last year – and unarguably the best use of music in a TV series. But it, like me, you had the opportunity to see the show when it aired (Season 2 starts on April 24th) you still need this set. Why? Because there are so many layers to what is going on and certain events that occur have their gestation in something that happened in an earlier episode. But more important is the fact that there are commentary tracks to about half the episodes. And not just one, but two different ones. First there are the commentaries by the creators and actors (the pilot episode – longer than others at 77 minutes – is a must listen) and then there is a separate commentary on the music performed. PLUS there is a “soundtrack” option, which you should choose – even on first viewing – which reveals all the music being played or performed. Besides the amazing real-time performances by Kermit Ruffins, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, Steve Earle and more! – full versions of classic NOLa records (“Buena Sera” by Louis Prima for instance) are here. I don’t ever remember that being done before. So, like me, you may find yourself watching the pilot THREE times and finding something new each time.

The last disc includes some other Bonus features. First is a “making of” which is about 15 minutes ling and is just okay – similar to many other “Making of” featurettes. This is followed by a 30-minute HBO-produced featurette putting the show in perspective with a focus on the heritage of New Orleans – especially after Katrina. Well done. That’s it for features.

I mentioned at the top that there is one annoyance on the set and that is the need for HBO to sell the full video performances that were done for the show. An insert in the package says you can download them on iTunes. But downloading on iTunes means you can only watch them on reasonably small PC screen. HBO would have made this an all time keeper you will return to often if it just included the videos on the DVD – even adding a few dollars to the price. Then you could watch them in all their glory on your TV. The set is still so important that I’m being generous and not deducting a star here. But I sure hope they correct this when Season 2 is released next year. (By the way, if you love this series like I do, you definitely need the companion soundtrack CD!)

So, I’m still only 2/3 of the way through the set listening to the commentaries but that’s enough to post my review here. If you love jazz, R&B, brass bands, Steve Earl, Elvis Costello and GREAT drama, this set is for you!