[78-L] Question 1812 Overture

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 2 09:20:29 PDT 2011

Okay, folks..comparing Varsity and Mercury LP transfers of the 1812 Overture,
which are clearly the same recording. I've played up to the end of side 1
(clearly audible since the last note is repeated intact on the Varsity and
partially on the Mercury).

Varsity LP 31, VLP 6050, LP 6925 (all from same stampers): I've heard much
worse. Some scuffs and clicks audible on the original 78s. Very little wow. EQ
not great. LP surface noise, but I didn't hear hiss from the original 78s.

Mercury MG 15000: Better EQ and presence. Much wow and speed flux not
associated with 78RPM playback. LP surface quieter but a bit gritty..hey, both
issues are over 60 years old.

Unscientific test since I sampled only the first 4'05" of each disc.

dl