[78-L] Question 1812 Overture

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Thu Mar 31 19:48:38 PDT 2011

Yes, it was a British recording; American Columbia released very few of the Grenadiers' excellent sides over here, and this was really the best; the ensemble is first class, the low brass on side A is majestic, and the woodwind work in the allegro is thrilling.  It's one of the of he best early Guards' band recordings. Williams gives a solid reading of the piece overall, even with the cut.  Prince's version is, unfortunately, so far reduced as to be hard to comprehend  -- and I generally support Charles Prince, but he was extremely erratic, and I think he and Columbia's engineers sometimes had an overly complacent relationship.