[78-L] King George VI, 2 speeches

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Tue Mar 29 17:54:51 PDT 2011

Here are my notes from the 2 speeches of King George VI that I have.

A.  Visit to Canada, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Source:  ET from WNAX, Yankton, SD.  Date unknown.  Here is the first
sentence...
"Mr. Premier, I'd like to thank you for the very warm welcome which has been
given to the Queen and myself today from the Premier of Nova Scotia."  He
delivers the first part of his speech in English, then switches to French,
and back to English.  Time on counter: 3:20 to 10:58.
Following the King's speech, Queen Elizabeth delivers a short speech in
English.  Time on counter:  11:40 to 13:58.

B.  King George VI's speech from London on VJ day.  1945.
Source:  cassette of BBC news from World War II.  The King speaks from
London.  Here is first sentence:  "Three months have passed since I asked
you to join with me in an act of thanksgiving for the defeat of Germany..."
Time on counter:  0 to 1:57.

If anyone wants a CD or cassette of these speeches, please write to me
giving your mailing address.  The speech defect that King George had was
stammering, not stuttering.

Ted Kneebone
1528 S. Grant Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401