[78-L] Curly Hicks & His Taproom Boys

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Mar 29 17:44:02 PDT 2011

Anyone know anything about this Bluebird group? They cut 22 sides between 1940 and '42 but I've never seen any biographical information on them. I have 18 of the 22 sides and they are generally pretty good; all instrumentals, all featuring vibraphone with accordion, usually performing jazz standards like "Hindustan," "Diga Diga Doo," and "Limehouse Blues," but the occasional polka as well. EDVR has no personnel info filled in on them - they're just one of these anonymous groups that were not bad enough to be discarded and not good enough to make anything of themselves.

Cary Ginell