[78-L] Record collection brings laughs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 28 20:18:20 PDT 2011

On 3/28/2011 11:14 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "Cary Ginell"<soundthink at live.com>
>>
>> Muzak's legacy has been simplistically labeled as being just "elevator
>> music," but their company had a broader history. They provided background
>> music for many facilities, including restaurants, theaters, offices, and
>> other public establishments. Their repertoire wasn't just 101 Living
>> Strings blandness; they did customize music to fit the facility and
>> although their name has become a joke, they were much more attuned to
>> matching appropriate music to individual venues. For a few years, I worked
>> for a different company, AEI Music, that did the same thing, except I was
>> in their inflight division which programmed music channels, wrote scripts,
>> and conducted interviews for specialty programs on airline audio systems.
>>
> They also recorded a number of transcription-type 12" 33's...at least
> three of which I (hope I still?!) own. One or two of those were cut
> by Glen Gray...using G* G* pseudonyms. No idea if these were played
> in subscribing stores, or over the air...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

I wonder about that myself..I got a few such discs from Jim Hadfield, and they
were much played and much scuffed and may have come from a doctor's office or a
restaurant. There was also an oddity, a mislabelled disc identified as the
Hunter James Choir (which I wanted because I knew that was a pseudonym for the
Hall Johnson Choir) and which turned out to be swinging dance tunes. I
eventually found out that they were Horace Henderson or Chick Webb (I forget
which), but the odd thing was that these sides had been recorded for World, not
Associated, even though they had Associated labels.