[78-L] Was it staged? - 1906 film of a cable car ride

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Mar 25 19:40:26 PDT 2011

From: "Andrew Homzy" <homzy at vax2.concordia.ca>
> Hey Mike,
> > I suppose the producer/director of the 1906 film did more than just pay
> > the fare, mount a camera, and pay a few drivers to drive around the
> > streetcar. I think they had "floor managers" to  cue people to walk
> > across the track, line-up a preposterous number of other streetcars
> > driving towards "our" car - I'll leave it up to a film student to count
> > how many there were. And it certainly isn't coincidence that another
> > streetcar crosses us at every intersection of tracks.

This being 1906...it would have been quite logical to create a film
(itself "advanced technology!) in which "auto-mobiles" were featured...!
At this point, there were probably a few hundred of these modern
machines in use in San Francisco...and it would have been advantageous
to display how "modern" the city was by improving on the number
thereof in a promotional moving picture...?!

Steven C/ Barr