[78-L] Early Ellington, WAS: Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out - who

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 23 12:31:09 PDT 2011

I love the OKeh Ellington...though, for my money, no version of "Black and Tan Fantasy" comes close to the one he cut for Victor.

It's been released on Nipper's Greatest Hits: the '20s and more recently on an Ellington centeniary CD (much better transfer).

The version that's in the Cotton Club medley is interesting, though...

Sammy Jones

David Van Landingham wrote:

I heard  those Duke Ellington OKehs with Baby Cox when I was in college out here
in the Coos
Bay-North Bend,Oregon area.She did a nice job imitating Bubber Miley's
trumpet.Aside from

"The Mooche" there was her performance on "Hot and Bothered".I wonder if those
performances
appeared on the CD "The OKeh Ellington".I'm sure they were.I attended
Southwestern Oregon
Community College in Coos Bay,Oregon between late 1970 and early 1972.I was a
music major
at the time.