[78-L] Western swing festival on WKCR

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 18:47:27 PDT 2011

Cary Ginell wrote:
They probably stole all of it from us, although I can't be certain. Our
set is complete while theirs has selected tracks scattered over 4 CDs.
In some cases, Michael Kieffer, who did the mastering along with some
help from John R.T. Davies, can even identify his restoration
'fingerprints' on the some of the tracks, isolating glitches that could
only have come from the 78 copies we used. Not only did they steal the
audio, Adam Komorowski appropriated chunks of my liner notes, my
interviews, and photographs that we received exclusive permission from
the Brown family to use, of which there was only one copy. The portrait
of Brown on the cover of our box was blown up larger on the ImProper
set, and you can see the dithering of the image because of the poor
scanning job that they tried blow up. When I challenged them on this,
they merely said "We do our own research" and basically thumbed their
noses at us.

We lowered the price from $75 to $60 on our website, but that's still
far above the 20 bucks they're charging for their cheapie set.

Ya had to get me riled up again, didn't you?

Cary Ginell
I once offered some advice to David French of Frog Records. If there's
something you want to reissue, wait until somebody does it badly, then
jump in and do it properly. The opportunity of a third party wanting to
rip you offer won't be so appealing. Sadly he died before he could take
it up.

      Julian Vein