[78-L] A Dropped Title and Eugene Jaudas

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 20 22:13:16 PDT 2011

 I was playing some cylinders (bought at a show, and sitting ever since in the brown grocery bags I used to pack them) and
came across one which struck me as familiar.  "The Jass" One-Step, by Eugene Jaudas' orchestra on Edison BA 3228.  'Hmm...
why do I know this tune?  Nobody else recorded such a title ... wait a second.'  I search for Jaudas online  (there is
little to nothing about him, btw) and hit the same record on online ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVuZXjOk42g ) .  Then I
remember:  I have this on a smallish hill & dale disc ... it's HONG KONG !

  Somewhere between it being rejected for disc but approved for cylinder, then prepared for manufacture, somebody mistook
the description "Jazz One-Step" or "Jass One-Step" for its title , and dropped HONG KONG completely.  I submitted a comment
to that effect, on the ootoob page. I wonder if this has happened with other tunes, being issued with wrong title (or no
title really, in this case) and not pulled off the shelves.

 ps - the 1910 Census had him listed as "Judas", but got his father (I assume) correct as Jaudas. I submitted a correction.
128 East 86th St, 40 years old in 1910, born in New York, parents born in Germany and arrived in USA 1863. Married 4 years,
no children. Aunt & Mother-in-Law living with him (that must have been fun) , parents in the next apartment in same
building.  Occupation: Musician. Industry: Phonograph.   Out of work in 1909: Zero days.

 Interesting that his parents were still working at age 71: dad for the NYC Police Dept, mom a professional midwife.