[78-L] Buzzer at the beginning

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 10:28:47 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 13:11 -0400, David Lennick wrote:
+AD4 Just found a recording where the buzzer is heard at the start as part of the
+AD4 whole production..The Goons' +ACI-Unchained Melody+ACI, on a couple of late CD issues
+AD4 including Decca 984 162-7. (Remarkably unfunny, by the way..I don't blame Frank
+AD4 Loesser for refusing to let it be released at the time.)
+AD4
+AD4 dl

It's on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+AD0-XqqNsyHajb0

Strikes me as odd, though+ADs this is on Decca but I read that George
Martin did the Goon Show records for Parlophone. EMI wasn't using
audible buzzers in the tape era, but rather a red light. No idea what
Decca did, but the buzzer sequence at the beginning of the selection
sounds rather Victor-ish. I'm guessing the buzzer was intended as part
of the cut.

MS