[78-L] RCA dealers' phono?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 22:15:05 PST 2011

One or two 50C5's in that transmitter? I built a cw transmitter out of a pair of
50C5's once,  both used as a single oscillator made from two tubes. Later I
built a 6AG7 oscillator driving a pair of 50C5's & got a few watts out of it on
80, 40 & 20 meters. Modified still later to the 807 then the 6146b for higher
power. I got about 60 watts out of a pair of 807's (didn't push them although I
could have run 50 watts from each tube) & 100 watts out of a pair of 6146B's.
That was about 25 or so years ago. Even built an 813 amp with 4 of those in it
for 2000 watts. Way over the legal limit for a ham back then but I never stated
it's real power over the air. Could have done the same thing with a
single 4-1000A but didn't have one at the time.