[78-L] RCA dealers' phono?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Mar 10 21:31:36 PST 2011

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <rbratcherjr at yahoo.com>
> And the 6L6 family (such as the 6L6G, 6L6WGB & similer) make nice
> transmitting
> tubes in ham radio service. But then the 6V6 family will work too at lower
> power
> than what you get using a 6L6 tube. Good audio tubes yes but great
> transmitting
> tubes!! On the other hand I've used the 807 series (like the 5933/807W)
> for both
> a pair of Heathkit audio amplifiers years ago as well as one or two
> transmitting
> tube projects. I even built a morse code transmitter out of a pair of
> 50C5's > once & it was fun to play with.
>
> The Heathkit amps were from a garage sale & were missing the 807's
> although the
> other tubes werre there. A Heathkit stereo tube preamp was there as well
> as a
> mono Heathkit AM/FM tuner. Bought it all, took it home, added four 807W's
> from
> my junk box & that became my first compoment stereo system with the FM
> tuner
> section converted to stereo (by me) a couple months later. Not bad audio
> for a
> teenager in the early 1970's.....

Tubes with numeric designations (807, 1625, usw.) were usually
"transmitting" tubes...not used in home equipment. The #X# notation
appeared in the early thirties, replacing numeric designations
(although the venerable #80 rectifier diodes hung on...?!).
I also built a QRP transmitter using 50C5's...crystal, and
used leftover radio "tuning capacitors" and a hand-wound
coil (on toilet-paper "cores") in a pi-network configuration.
Actually worked a few folks on 40 meters...!

Steven C. Barr