[78-L] 5 reasons to hate 78-L

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Thu Mar 10 11:45:42 PST 2011

On 09/03/2011 21:49, Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> You are totally wrong even if you lived in Amsterdam! There are very strict
> rules about when to use the y or ij spelling!! Any kid in elementary school
> doing it wrong will know!!!

This intrigues me. I've been learning Dutch as I've been to the
Netherlands on frequent business recently, and one of my counterparts
over there likes to light-heartedly test me ("Cute accent," he says of
my mellifluous, English tones. He says that the Dutch are so used to
speaking English with an American accent, it comes as quite a surprise
to hear Dutch haltingly spoken with an English accent. He also says I
shouldn't apologise on the occasions when I get a word wrong, but start
swearing instead, so I'm not sure how much I should trust him!)

Anyway, back to being intrigued. Which is correct: Ijmuiden or Ymuiden?
Modern sources usually spell it the former way; older books and
reference materials the latter (the latest example I know of is in the
film "Operation Amsterdam," made in 1959 but set in 1940.) Some sources
even spell it both ways, with Ymuiden in parentheses. Then there are
those which spell it IJmuiden with both a capital I and J.

Just wondering.

Martin.