[78-L] Frank Deniz

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Mar 6 20:13:37 PST 2011

Mxs DR-8841-43 are from early Nov 1944.
Based upon DR-8849 by Ambrose, London, 9 Nov 1944 & 8891 from 24 Nov;
and Grappelly 8901-04 from 29 Nov 44.
Composer Clinton was retained for Spooky.

Han Enderman
===

David Lennick wrote:
> Just came across a disc by Frank Deniz & His Spirits of Rhythm. London 188,
> "New Idea" b/w "Spooky Takes a Holiday"..it was probably the latter title that
> intrigued me, since it's obviously "Satan Takes a Holiday" with the title made
> less offensive for sensitive souls. Not unpleasant, not earth shattering, and
> not in Lord although other Deniz recordings with probably this same combo are
> listed.
>
> dl

It's listed in Lord 10.0:

Frank Deniz (British)
[D3100-10]
no details
London ?, 1940's
DR-8841-1    New idea    London (E)188
DR-8843-2    Spooky takes a holiday          -

Not much, I know.

There was a fellow at work who was the nephew of Joe Deniz (and,
presumably, Frank?). There was another fellow whose father played with
Teddy Weatherford in India, but appeared not to have recorded with him.

Sorry about the name-dropping!

      Julian Vein
<<<>>> Here's what Lord Online has:

(D3098)
Frank Deniz And His Spirits Of Rhythm : Jimmy Skidmore (ts) Clare Deniz (p)
Frank Deniz, Joe Deniz (g) Tommy Bromley (b) Tony Lytton (d)
  	London, May 17, 1944
DR-8441	When I grow too old to dream 	De (E)F8456
DR-8442	Soft winds 	  -        , Topic (E)TSCD781 [CD]
DR-8443	A smooth one 	(unissued)
DR-8444	Washington whirlygig 	     -
So this one is probably from later in 1944, and seems to have been issued only
on London. Odd.

dl
<<<