[78-L] very unusual "Messiah" and Hermann Scherchen

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 19:57:00 PST 2011

Around 1998 or so there was an "original jackets" style series of Westminster re-releases issued by UMG not long after the merger with Polygram. But the first dozen or so were all that appeared and I think these were UK only; correct me if I'm wrong.

Many of the Scherchen Westminster recordings have appeared in the Tahra reissues curated by his daughter. These are folded in with other kinds of recordings that he did; a recent multi-disc set of his Haydn Symphony recordings Tahra put out is highly recommended by me; it includes some Westminsters, but it is drawn from various sources; he recorded certain Haydn symphonies multiple times, and Myriam Scherchen cherry-picked what she felt were the best ones. The "Farewell" Symphony is especially interesting, and I'm not going to spoil why.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com