[78-L] 16 Tons of Urban Legend?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 6 19:26:03 PST 2011

I remember at the time hearing or reading that someone raced over to Ford with
a copy of the Merle Travis album and said something like "You gotta record
this". Per Whitburn, Ford's disc was charted November 12, 1955 and Johnny's on
November 18th. The Desmond platter was waxed on October 14th, per Ruppli. And
you say Billboard reviewed the Ford biscuit on October 15th.

Trivia..my folks were playing the Merle Travis record on their program in 1953.

dl