[78-L] 16 Tons of Urban Legend?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Mar 6 17:31:55 PST 2011

OK, I'll drop the other shoe.  The reason I asked about Capitol A sides
is that there is a archive web site that you would think should be
fairly reliable that in a discussion of the Merle Travis original of 16
Tons mentioned that the Tennessee Ernie Ford recording had been issued
as the B side to "You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry" and that "two
months later it was the greatest selling single of all time."

That's why I have been looking thru late 1955 Billboards.  I found the
review in the Oct 15 issue which listed the 16 Tons side first, the
first ad for the record in the Oct 22 issue BEFORE the record had hit
any charts, and the ad is definitely for 16 Tons, and in the Oct 29
there is a huge ad and a review for Johnny Desmond's (!!) cover of 16
Tons on Coral and the review mentions that Ford's original is starting
to move.  It doesn't hit the charts for another week, so it is obvious
the Desmond recording was in the pipeline before Ford's record was released.

So I don't believe it was meant to be the B side, nor that it became the
greatest selling single of all time by Jan 56.  Any comments?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com