[78-L] Frank Deniz

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 6 16:27:42 PST 2011

On 3/6/2011 7:05 PM, Julian Vein wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>> Just came across a disc by Frank Deniz&  His Spirits of Rhythm. London 188,
>> "New Idea" b/w "Spooky Takes a Holiday"..it was probably the latter title that
>> intrigued me, since it's obviously "Satan Takes a Holiday" with the title made
>> less offensive for sensitive souls. Not unpleasant, not earth shattering, and
>> not in Lord although other Deniz recordings with probably this same combo are
>> listed.
>>
>> dl

> It's listed in Lord 10.0:
>
> Frank Deniz (British)
> [D3100-10]
> no details
> London ?, 1940's
> DR-8841-1    New idea    London (E)188
> DR-8843-2    Spooky takes a holiday          -
>
> Not much, I know.
>
> There was a fellow at work who was the nephew of Joe Deniz (and,
> presumably, Frank?). There was another fellow whose father played with
> Teddy Weatherford in India, but appeared not to have recorded with him.
>
> Sorry about the name-dropping!
>
>        Julian Vein

Here's what Lord Online has:

(D3098)
Frank Deniz And His Spirits Of Rhythm : Jimmy Skidmore (ts) Clare Deniz (p)
Frank Deniz, Joe Deniz (g) Tommy Bromley (b) Tony Lytton (d)
  	London, May 17, 1944
DR-8441	When I grow too old to dream 	De (E)F8456
DR-8442	Soft winds 	  -        , Topic (E)TSCD781 [CD]
DR-8443	A smooth one 	(unissued)

So this one is probably from later in 1944, and seems to have been issued only
on London. Odd.

dl

DR-8444	Washington whirlygig 	     -