[78-L] fwd: The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 10:55:06 PST 2011

 Not to forget car buyers' apparent demand for a clock-like speedometer which only vaguely indicates speed, instead of a
precise digital display.  But if a clock with hands was on the dashboard, they'd want that to be digital!   Then there's the
utterly silly, fake, mechanical-looking "gear shifter" on the floor of cars with automatics which are not only shifted
electrically, but are way up in the engine compartment, nowhere near the fake handle.

 Actually, some MTA supervisory types tried to tell me that I needed "a real watch" for the job, not the things with hands
which I wore.  I assured them that I was capable of telling time with the Big Hand and the Little Hand.  (Which brings to
mind a little conflict I had with Miss Lunetta, my First-Grade teacher:  She was displeased when I corrected her "First Hand
& Second Hand" nonsense with "Hour Hand, Minute Hand, and Second Hand". haha)