[78-L] Speeds and Somewhat Less Than Happy Feet

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Feb 26 11:02:43 PST 2011

I want to mention first that I do know, understand, and appreciate all
that Tim explained, but I had some specific reasons for asking the
questions.  In all this discussion the one set of facts that was never
mentioned was what the rotational speeds for the disc would be necessary
for such and such a pitch.  More and more I get the feeling that many
here are dealing with transfers of the recording, not the disc itself.
That would render one aspect of Tim's explanation -- that of comparing
with other nearby recordings -- moot.  Now, we all know (or should know)
that for records there were no precise speed standards, even in 1930,
but things were different when it comes to film soundtracks.  The
picture is photographed at 90 feet per minute, which translates out to
24 frames per second.  This was a firm standard and was NEVER altered.
When the sound was recorded live on disc it was interlocked FIRMLY with
the camera for 33 1/3 RPM.  In this instance, the sound was recorded
optically and later transferred onto the disc in question.  The disc
would not work unless that transfer was made at 90 feet interlocked to
33 1/3.  Because the Technicolor sound-on-film print could have been
transferred to video at 25 frames per second if done in Europe, that is
not a reliable reference, but the soundtrack disc is.  We do not know
how accurate the dub was made nor what the YouTube upload might also
have done to the speed, but an accurate transfer of that soundtrack disc
is the reference for the soundtrack unless the actual film is also
available  -- not a video of the film but that actual film or a film
print of it made without a video intermediary.  Sprocketed media, and
things that are interlocked with it, are a whole different ball game
because unless the equipment malfunctions or is purposefully re-adjusted
(such as in the Wizard of Oz soundtrack pre-records) it WILL run at a
precisely predictable speed.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com