[78-L] Further proof the world has gone mad

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 23 14:51:00 PST 2011

At 17:13 23/02/2011, DL wrote:
>(1) Capitol/EMI is about to issue a 78 .. by The Beach Boys. (But Robert
>Johnson, him Sony issues on 45s.)
>http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/02/record-store-day-beach-boys-ozzy-osbourne-syd-barrett.html

For life of me I cannot understand why Capitol would do this. The two
tracks in question have nothing to do with 78s or that era. The Beach
Boy themselves are only marginally known on 78, with only one release
that I know of on Capitol in India.

The Beatles (and the 50th anniversary next year) of Love Me Do woudl
be better served with a 78 mimicking the Indian Parlophone pressing
that this rubbish

And besides, I can only imagine how Capitol will screw it up. Given
the half-a$$ed way they handled the Tennessee Ernie Ford
commemorative 78 of 16 Tons (flat black text-only 78 size label label
with no logos stuck to a raised label area sized for an lp) , I have
no great expectations they'll get this right