[78-L] Dragnet

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 19 11:31:12 PST 2011

At 19:16 19/02/2011, db wrote:

>I just bought a box set which has about a dozen episodes of the TV version of
>Dragnet.  It doesn't seem to include the famous Dragnet theme at the
>beginning
>of the episodes, maybe there was a copyright issue.

I can think of 2 reasons for this. The compiler may have sourced the
episodes from the renamed version the series. As they had already
been seen in primtime in past years, in syndication the opening
credits were redone with the show name as Badge 714 so as not to
conflict with the primetime version. Perhaps the compiler didn't
think that buyers would know this fact.

Second is the possibility that they may have reference to
Chesterfield cigarettes in the opening credits, and the compiler
didn't want to give advertising to tobacco products thinking it would
run afoul of the laws against tobacco advertising.

That said -- go back the radio version. It is much better! My wife
and I listen to an episode everynight at bedtime