[78-L] Columbia album sets & Warner Brothers cartoon

victrola78s at aol.com victrola78s at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 20:55:49 PST 2011

The cartoon Dan is referring to is called "Dog Gone Modern", a 1939 Merrie Melodie which introduced the "Two Curious Puppies" characters. They wander through an "all electronic model home", where they have run-ins with an automatic floor sweeper, automatic dishwasher, automatic napkin folder-you get the idea. And one of the devices is an automatic phonograph, which wreaks havoc on the ol' shellac collection just as Dan remembers. The other cartoon the puppies are in that I remember is "Presto Change-O", 1939, which had a kind of prototype of Bugs Bunny in it.

Dennis "Electric Eye" Forkel

"Capehart.I love it;you description reminds me of an old Warner Brothers cartoon
from the '40s I
saw where the automatic record changer flung a record across the room.The
cartoon featured two
dogs that were in a "house of the future".The robot-maid cleaned up the broken
records afterwar-
ds.The records were being flung from the changer at a high rate of speed.Didn't
Capehart merge
with Farnsworth?I had a Farnsworth radio-phono combination some 40 years ago.The
cartoon I
saw was on a Portland,Oregon-based early morning show called "Ramblin' Rod".It
was on the air
from the early '60s well into the 1980s,long after I got out of college."