[78-L] I'm Dickens, He's Fenster

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Fri Feb 18 18:39:38 PST 2011

On 2/17/2011 11:32, David Breneman wrote:
> I have no memory of this show, but I was only three at
> the time (although I do remember the World's Fair).  :-)
> I can see why this would appeal to someone like Stan
> Laurel.  It's very heavily invested in surrealism.
> I watched the pilot on You Tube (apparently posted
> because Yvonne Craig had a part) and almost nothing in
> the story would happen in real life.  It had flashes
> of brilliance along with the usual sitcom dullness.
> With a couple more good writers it could have really
> been something.
>
> And I could see Laurel and Hardy in some of those
> situations, even though Ingels' and Astin's characters
> are not direct replacements for L&H's personality types.
Ingles are brilliant but his comedy was short lived. Astin was good and
more durable. Ingels is a good example of how hard it is to stay on top
of the comedy business. They were up against some tough competition
during this time. There was a generous supply of vaudevillians, show
stage and singles act comedians coming into the TV age. Skelton, Benny,
Berle, Burns and so many others were joined by Ball, Van Dyke, Kovaks.
What a wonderful time!

Later, Astin's monster father colleague, Fred Gwyn was in Car 54, where
are you?

Ooh-ooh-ooh!

Astin was good in West Side Story.

--