[78-L] Boogie Woogie (10 cd set on Membran/ Document)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 16 20:37:04 PST 2011

On 2/16/2011 11:26 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:
> From: "agp"<agp2176 at verizon.net>
>> Yesterday at Half Price Books I was able to get a copy of the 10 CD
>> box set called Boogie Woogie on Membran/ Document -- all for the
>> lovely price of $12.
>> Its nice stuff -- transfers sound a bit tinny on a few tracks, but
>> nice nonetheless in general.
>> One downside is that there is no booklet about the tracks. Anorak
>> that I am, I like to know label and catalog number. So, what can
>> anyone say about this set. Were the tracks all sourced from the
>> original (released to the public) recordings or all some of them from
>> later things like transcriptions or v-discs.
>> Any other comments on the set
>>
> Membran/DocumentS (note the "s"..."Document" is a noted reissue
> operation!!) is a European operation which does a LOT of these
> multi-CD reissue sets! They take advantage of Europe's usual
> 50-year copyright term on sound recordings, which places a number
> of very interesting recordings in the Public Domain. As I understand
> it, they often copy material from earlier reissues. I believe Lennick
> will have more to say here...?!
>
> Steven C. Barr

Not much..if that's the same operation known as Historic, out of Germany, I've
had some of my stuff turn up there. I also had some of my stuff swiped by a
label (now gone, I think) called Prism Leisure. Proper and JSP also reproduce a
lot of issues they consider PD even though someone else did the restorations
for other labels.

But I've picked up some of those sets as well, like Sidney Bechet, Billie
Holiday, others..hell, if they're going to steal from the best, it's the law of
the jungle. Eat or be eaten.

What's on Letterman tonight?