[78-L] Boogie Woogie (10 cd set on Membran/ Document)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Feb 16 20:26:04 PST 2011

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> Yesterday at Half Price Books I was able to get a copy of the 10 CD
> box set called Boogie Woogie on Membran/ Document -- all for the
> lovely price of $12.
> Its nice stuff -- transfers sound a bit tinny on a few tracks, but
> nice nonetheless in general.
> One downside is that there is no booklet about the tracks. Anorak
> that I am, I like to know label and catalog number. So, what can
> anyone say about this set. Were the tracks all sourced from the
> original (released to the public) recordings or all some of them from
> later things like transcriptions or v-discs.
> Any other comments on the set

Membran/DocumentS (note the "s"..."Document" is a noted reissue
operation!!) is a European operation which does a LOT of these
multi-CD reissue sets! They take advantage of Europe's usual
50-year copyright term on sound recordings, which places a number
of very interesting recordings in the Public Domain. As I understand
it, they often copy material from earlier reissues. I believe Lennick
will have more to say here...?!

Steven C. Barr