[78-L] George Shearing

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 01:12:45 PST 2011

Kristjan Saag wrote:
> Julian Vein asked:
>
>  > I wonder if anyone's going to reissue his pre-Decca stuff?
>
> --
> What stuff are you thinking about, Julian?
> The only pre 1939 recordings I've found are with Vic Lewis & Carlo
> Krahmer Band from 1938, probably listed in Lord (I can't check that).
> Four of the titles have recently been reissued by Candid Records:
> http://www.candidrecords.com/product_info.php?products_id=182
> I've seen rumours about Shearing having recording with Feather from
> 1937, but no traces in discographies (Rust has nothing) or on reissues.
> Other early non-Decca recordings with Reginald Williams and Sid Phillips
> etc. are all done after Shearing already had begun to record for Decca.
> Kristjan

These are from Lord 10.0. Don't know if "Lincon" is a typo or not. The
Candid looks like material previously issued on Harlequin LPs.

Vic Lewis And Carlo Krahmers Blue Six:
Jerry Kane (cl) Harry McCombe (vln) George Shearing (p) Vic Lewis (g)
Carlo Krahmer (marimba) Alf Hickman (b)
London, June, 1938
     Ja-da    Lincon Rhythm Style (E)8
     In de ruff                        (E)9

Vic Lewis And Carlo Krahmers Blue Seven:
Jerry Kane (cl,bar) Harry McCombe (vln) Carlo Krahmer (vib) George
Shearing (p) Vic Lewis, John Dalton (g) Joe Muslin (b) Joe Kay (d)
London, June 28, 1938
     Girl of my dreams    Lincon Rhythm Style (E)10
     Saturday night function                        (E)11
     Vicology                        (E)12
     Daphne                        (E)13
     Feelin' my way (vl-g, jd-g only)                        (E)14

Vic Lewis And Carlo Krahmer Band:
Leslie "Jiver" Hutchinson (tp) George Chisholm (tb) Bertie King (cl,as)
George Shearing (p) Vic Lewis (g) Joe Muslin (b) Carlo Krahmer (d,vib)
London, June 30, 1938
     I ain't got nobody    Lincon Rhythm Style (E)15
     Shine on, harvest moon                        (E)16
     Angry                        (E)17
     Stooge blues                        (E)18, DJM (E)SPECB103
Note: DJM (E)SPECB103 titled "My life - my way"; see various flwg
sessions to June 6, 1969 for most of the rest of this 4LP boxed set; one
more title under The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and not included in
this work.
All above titles also on Harlequin (E)HQ3012 titled "Vic Lewis Jam
sessions Vol 5 : 1946-1949"; see various flwg sessions to May 5, 1946
for the rest of this LP.

Vic Lewis Jersey Jumpers:
Bert Wade (tp) George Shearing (p) Vic Lewis (g) Carlo Krahmer (d)
London, September 22, 1938
     Don't be that way    Lincon Rhythm Style (E)19
     Why do I love you ?                        (E)20

Vic Lewis Chicago Stompers:
Al Baum (ts) George Shearing (p) Vic Lewis (g) Carlo Krahmer (d)
London, September 24, 1938
     At the jazz band ball    Lincon Rhythm Style (E)21
     Black eyes [Dark eyes]                        (E)22

Vic Lewis/Carlo Krahmer Band:
Reg Arnold (tp) Jack Adare (cl,ts) George Shearing (p) Vic Lewis (g)
Carlo Krahmer (d)
London, January 10, 1939
     Mighty like the blues    Days Rhythm Style (E)1
     Muskrat ramble                      (E)2
     There'll come a time                      (E)3
     Jazz me blues                      (E)4
     Sobbin' blues                      (E)5
     Boogie woogie blues                      (E)6
Note: Days Rhythm Style (E)7 & 8 are by George Shearing and Carlo
Krahmer and do not include Vic Lewis.

      Julian Vein