[78-L] Short video showing Armed Forces transcriptions discovered at Ft. Lewis/McChord AFB

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Feb 11 19:45:25 PST 2011

From: <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> OK, so if vinyl is warmed sufficiently and put under some pressure, it
> can be forced to change shape, which is how vinyl records are made in
> the press as we all know. Same for shellac, altho lower temps will warp
> shellac. I assume a record store at an angle or with something on top of
> and below could do the same over time, be forced out of a flat
> condition. If these transcription records were packed tightly in boxes,
> perhaps this will not have occurred.
> That would explain why I have seen so little warping in my vinyl
> collection, excluding those records which came factory pre-warped.

The OTHER difference is that shellac records exposed to high
temeratures becdome flexible...and retain their new shape when
cooled. Repairing this requires only that the records be reheated
to the point of flexibility and manually be bent into "flatness"...!

OTOH, vinyl records when "over" heated will actually expand
physically...creating a "warp" when the newly expanded vinyl.
with "no place to go," forces the record to "warp" and thus
accomodate the expanded vinyl!

Steven C. Barr