[78-L] AFRS Libraries, was BRAKING

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 04:49:50 PST 2011

On 2/10/2011 6:47 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:

 > Occasionally, previously-unissued alternate takes can be found on the
 > P-series AFRS Basic Music Library transcriptions.
 >
 > There was also an SP- series. (special purpose?)

=======

Mackenzie lists a slew of AFRS series, used up to 1948. Then it changed.

Basic Musical Library, beginning in 1942.

P = popular

SEX = symphonic extra (I am not making this up)

SP = symphonic popular, artists such as Victor Young, Kostelanetz, Paul
Whiteman Orch, Shore, Crosby

SPX = extras to the SP series possibly

C = concert

R = religious

W = western

MISC = miscellaneous

CH = children or Christmas

MW = music of the world

L = Latin

TOP POP

MB = military, bands, marches

and then there was the Standard Music Transcription Library, which used
similar prefixes, like P-S for popular series. This was 100 sides, 600
selections. From reading the book I am not sure if the source may have
been at least in part from the commercial library of the same name. I
find this part confusing.

Gold Label Library - 152 ETs issued by the AFRTS in 1956. Reason unknown.

same routine - P-GL = Popular gold, SP-GL = symphonic popular gold, etc.

Thesaurus was also believed to be available to AFRS stations.

Basic Information Library - 1945. speeches and special programs.

H series, produced by the AFRS. Jubilee, Intermezzo, Sound Off, Concert
Hall, Jill's Juke Box, Hollywood Bowl

Mackenzie states that by Jan. '46, of over 8000 selections, about 25% of
the content was from commercial records and station libraries; another
25% from radio shows, and the balance from recordings especially made by
AFRS musicians and popular artists.

joe salerno