[78-L] Purple People Eater

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Feb 7 19:59:05 PST 2011

From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
>I was going by memory (never a good sign) and so I dug it out to find no
> "CA" but "A" in the runout, aside from the mx 58 S 77. The flip (mx 59 S
> 78) also has an "A". The label has "M-G-M Records - a division of Loew's
> Incorporated - Made in U.S.A" where "Made In Canada - Quality Records
> Ltd." usually is (bottom rim of the label at 6:00).
> So it IS a US pressing. The damn thing still jumps a groove near the
> beginning when the bass comes in, though.
> Mal

This is a very common problem with late 78's! Once the bass response was
significantly improved, the "excursion" of the 78 groove became too large
for virtually all players to successfully track while renmaining in the
groove;
the improved bass usually will throw the player's needle out...!!

Steven C. Barr