[78-L] Amalgamated Broadcasting System

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Fri Feb 4 19:42:16 PST 2011

on 2/4/11 3:32 PM David Lennick wrote:

>Why does Gross not even mention Gygi by name in his 4-page account of the
>fiasco in "I Looked and I Listened"? All other details are
>there..fascinating stuff.

The more I dug into that story and learned about Gygi, and the various
promotions and projects he was involved in, the more he came across to me
as a con man/stock swindler ,maybe one part Kreisler to two parts
Kingfish (he'd passed himself off in vaudeville as "the Viennese-born
court violinist to King Alfonso of Spain") and Wynn as the prize sucker
of the decade. Wynn was absolutely sincere about the whole project, but
Gygi sold him a bill of goods in putting the package together, and with
Wynn in Hollywood for most of the orgazational period, he had no idea
where his money was going or what Gygi was up to. By the time he found
out, it was too late.

Gygi didn't let the grass grow under his feet once the Amalgamated fiasco
blew up. He turned up again in 1935 trying to convince disgraced
utilities magnate Samuel Insull to bankroll yet another new radio
network, the "Affiliated Broadcasting Company," to be based in the
midwest but otherwise pretty much the same proposition that had done in
Wynn. Insull, of course, had already lost his fortune by this point and
Gygi apparently hadn't had a chance to catch up on the papers, because by
the end of the year he was giving interviews about the many financiers
and captains of industry ready to line up behind this impressive array of
stations.

This whole project is an eerie echo of Amalgamated. Just like Wynn,
Insull dropped out of the network shortly after it went on the air, and
the whole thing caved in shortly after. Mr. Gygi was nothing if not
consistent.

Elizabeth